Sunday 23 October 2016

Sunday service

We tuk-tuk'd to a Sunday service at a Hindu temple this morning. Getting used to this energetic way to travel; I will confess I quite enjoy it.
We were the  only white people amongst 500 Indians. And we were not scowled at or pointed at but sat unshod cross-legged in the middle and tried to understand what was going on. But did not. Three, four times people sent children over to us to say hello. Sweet.
We think that a special revered temple statue was being shown for worship and devotion, the congregation filed around in a moving massed circle of people to the back of the temple out of our sight.
It was a calm, happy affair with a little chanting, a sort of sermon at the beginning (which few seemed to take any notice of) And well, we don't really understand. But this Hindu religion is so different to what we are used to in England how can we?  But is was very interesting.


Tomorrow is my last day here in Jaipur. And I will breakfast and dinner alone. I have completely run out of money so I need to go out to walk and find an ATM. The YMCA in Delhi still cannot confirm that I have a room for Tuesday; I asked reception to phone them to confirm but they do not do bookings on Sunday over the phone and the internet connection is not working. I arrive there late morning  on Tuesday and feel reasonably confident that I will find a little YMCA corner to kip in. But hey!!!  I have to negotiate the 515am start (taxi is booked); and make the 6.00am train departure and then I need to find seat CC133 yet...gulp!

1 comment:

  1. Seen any spiders yet? Hope you're well and truly having a wonderful time. Thinking of you back home. Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete